Saturday, April 21, 2012

Story so far..

When I was a kid, I could speak only Sinhala.But there was nothing I couldn't do with it. When I moved to Colombo only I found out there is nothing you can do if you don't know English. So I had to learn English because I wanted to survive. Those days I thought one day I would fight back and I did try. But I know today Sinhala is not a practical language. No matter what we argue in the end you have to know English if you want to live. At least in Sri Lanka.

My term as an admin in Sinhala Wikipedia was not planned. When me and Sasakthi started on the project someone had to take up the burden. Those days the interface translation was limited to admins. So I took up the challenge. Later Sas got busy and I also dropped down to just cleaning up vandalization and spam. Time after time one person would pick up an interest in Sinhala Wikipedia and do something. But there never was any real community. When these guys got fed up they simply left the project without even saying good bye.

I remain as a caretaker unchallenged.

When බිඟුවා came in and started work, things were very promising. The article count went really high. The quality improved immensely. New tools came in to be. Lot of positive things started to happen in the project.

*That's a lot of writing for me. I'll write the rest some time later*

2 comments:

Sinhala Encyclopedia said...

sinhala is the best language...

Anonymous said...

මේ කතාව සම්පූර්ණ කරලා නැහැනේ! තව කතාවක් කියන්නකෝ! You are good at it.